Thursday, April 26, 2012

Podcasting--Lesson for 4/27



 A useful podcast from High School Broadcast Journalism:

http://www.hsbj.org/uploads/Lesson%20Plans/Audio/The%20D.C.%20Download2_%20Christopher%20Lydon%20on%20Podcasting.mp3


Before we go into television broadcasting next marking period, let's work on developing a podcast.
For this assignment, you will work in small groups to develop a podcast on a subject that the group finds interesting to develop and record.   Yes, RECORD!  Podcasts are audio files uploaded to the internet.

Using Garageband, you will be able to edit music and voices to make your podcasts.  You also have other
sound recording and editing tools on your computer.

But first, here are some questions to consider.  Post your response to these questions on the blog.


Part 1: Podcasting 101

1.
  • Do you own or have access to an IPod or other MP3 device or a home computer?
  • Are you are familiar with the term podcast and what it means?
  • Have you ever listened to a podcast?
  • Do you currently listen to/subscribe to at least one podcast on a regular basis? 


2.  Read the NewsHour article from 2005.  How has the world of podcasting changed since then? 


3.  Next, listen to a podcast by linking to the PBS or NPRwebsite below!  Pick a podcast from these sites that interests you!  There are so many choices...but look for podcasts that reflect your interests.

Take notes about the podcast you listen to on the graphic organizer (MAP) and turn it in at the end of class.

PBS and NPR podcasts:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rss/media/index.html

//nprpods.habilis.net/ 


4. Finally, form a group to work on creating a podcast.  Brainstorm ideas with your group.  Look over the podcast planning sheet and fill out what you can.


10 comments:

  1. 1.a) Yes, I do have access to an iPod and a home computer.
    b) Yes, I am familiar with the term podcast and what it means.
    c) Yes, I have listened to a podcast before.
    d) Yes, I currently listen to/subscribe to at least one podcast on a regular basis.
    2. Since 2005, podcasting has become much more popular. In 2005, podcasting was a relatively new trend, so very few people were recording and listening to podcasts. However, in the past two years, podcasting has taken off. Thousands of people download podcasts every days, choosing from hundreds that are easily accessible from iTunes or the internet.

    3. I listen to This American life form WBEZ Chicago via NPR nearly every week. Although I have tried to listen to many podcasts over time, this is the only one that has been able to hold my interest. I think that this is mostly due to the fact that it features stories that reflect different aspects of a new theme every episode, keeping subject matter fresh and interesting. This American Life has taught me a lot about different people from all different walks of life and their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A.) Yes, I have an Ipod and a computer
    B.) Yes, Im aware of the term.
    C.) Yes I have listened to a podcast before
    D) No I do not currently subscribe to any podcasts

    2.) The major difference between podcasts then and now is that they have taken off by far. While this article says that back then podcasts received 24k views total, now single podcasts can carry up to millions of listeners. Another major difference is the integration between youtube and podcasts, many youtubers or other online bloggers have also turned to podcasts to help spread there message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an iPod and a computer.
    To my understanding, a podcast is pretty much a radio program available as a downloadable audio file.
    Yes, I have listened to a handful of different podcasts.
    There is one podcast I often listen to, but I don't keep up with every new one.

    Darren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only difference I see between podcasting in '05 and podcasting now is how widespread it is. The technology is still pretty much the same, but more people have it.

      Delete
  4. 1a. Yes, I do have an iPod.
    1b. Yes, I am familiar with the term 'podcast' and it's meaning.
    1c. No, I have never listened to a podcast until today.
    1d. No, I do not currently listen to or subscribe to a podcast.
    2. Since 2005, podcasting has greatly increased. Obviously, when something is being introduced, it isn't exactly a hit from the start. However, as time went on, the numbers for registered listeners of podcasts were booming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A.) Yes, I have both an iPod and a computer.
    B.) Yes, I am familiar with the term.
    C.) I have listened to a podcast before.
    D.) I do not listen to podcasts on a regular basis.

    2.) The article was written a few years ago, which has given podcasting a lot of time to skyrocket. Way more than 24,000 people listen to podcasts now, and now that it's had time to grow I'd say that the listeners are pretty high up in the millions. Now most programs incorporate a podcast function because it has become so popular. Also, I'd say that podcasting now covers an even broader scope of topics than it did in 2005.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1.) i. Yes I own an iPod and have a home computer.
    ii. Yes, I know what a podcast is.
    iii. I've listened to a podcast before.
    iv. No, I don't subscribe or listen to a podcast regularly.
    2.) People have started subscribing and listening to podcasts more and more since mp3 players and iPods became more popular and commonplace. A lot of broadcasters like National Public Radoi, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and the British Broadcasting Corpation are making more of their programs available to podcast audiences.
    3.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1a. I have a computer.
    1b. Yes.
    1c. Yes, my dad listens a lot to NPR News and learns about things that take place in other countries.
    1d. No.

    2. Podcasting has changed and become more popular. Back in 2005 it was new and most people weren't too familiar with it, but it's grown. Many people download podcasts and they are easily accesible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. a) I do have an iPod and computer.
    b) I'm pretty sure I know what a podcast is.
    c) Yes, I've listened to a podcast.
    d) Note really, I like listening to them, but not that much.

    2.Podcasts have become much more commonplace in the last few years. They have become much more commercialized and advertising has become much more common. Also subscription fees have defiantly become a staple of Podcasting, since it has become a job for a lot of people. Podcast have become like blogging or vlogging but easier to carry around with you. People listen to podcasts while running, driving and just sitting around, which makes it a much more appealing for people whole like to multitask.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1) I have an iPod and computer.
    2) I've got a good idea of what a podcast is.
    3) Yes I have listened to a podcast before.
    4) I don't subscribe to any podcasts.

    ReplyDelete